Thursday 18 August 2011

Mars Bar Brownies

I was having a little mooch around the supermarket thinking 'what would taste nice in a chocolate brownie?'. 
I narrowed my list down to Mars, Twix, Rolo, and M&Ms. 
For some bizarre reason, Sainsburys DIDN'T sell regular M&Ms, only peanut! Not amused..
So, that plan fell through.
I couldn't be bothered for Rolos either, but I'll attempt that at some point in the very near future (maybe even inside a cupcake?)
Mars and Twix it is...
I thought I'd test out a couple of different brownie recipes for each of the chocolates, so the Twix one is to follow in another post.


For the Mars Bar Brownies..

Ingredients
6oz butter, softened
4oz dark chocolate
1/2 cup caster sugar
3 large eggs
tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1/2cup plain flour + 1 teaspoon
5 snack size Mars bars, cut into chunks.

Preheat your oven to 180C, and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, or just use a disposable foil dish (these are SO much easier)..
Melt the chocolate and butter over a saucepan on a low heat, and leave to cool.


While it's cooling, grab a cutting board and knife and dice the Mars bars into small pieces..



Next, stir in the sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs into the chocolate mixture, and then gradually add the flour in until just combined.
Spread half of the batter into the baking tin and then create an even layer of Mars, before pouring the rest of the brownie mix on top so that all the chocolate chunks are covered.

Before the second layer of batter..

Bake for 30-35 minutes depending on your oven, but I took mine out after exactly 30. If a toothpick comes out clean, it's overcooked! You want moist crumbs, and the brownie should be firm-ish to the touch!!!! 

I love how some of the Mars chunks have risen to the top of the batter! Leave the brownie in a cool, dry place until ready to cut and serve.

I find that, with a gooey brownie, they can be a tad difficult to cut unless they've been chilled for a bit. I made these in the evening and was planning on serving them the next morning, so I wrapped the entire brownie up and put it in the fridge overnight. Then, in the morning, they were much easier to cut and retained their texture after sitting at room temperature for half an hour or so.




I was just being silly here - and yes, they did all topple over!

Good recipe..
Could definitely work with other chocolates too, but the caramel and nougat from the Mars works so well with the actual brownie.
Next project, Twix!!
Stay posted, it's coming up next!

J x

No comments:

Post a Comment